Just this week, the gals from our CrossFit gym got together for a Paleo potluck and each person was to bring a dish. Since I’ve been enjoying my new cookbook, The Paleo Kitchen, I settled on their Bacon Lime Sweet Potato Salad recipe. It’s a warm sweet potato salad, but awesomely delicious and it was a huge hit at the potluck.
It’s actually the perfect fall dish and pairs great with chicken, roast, steaks, or anything grilled. I honestly could have eaten it ALL, but we know that wouldn’t have turned out well. I tripled the recipe for the potluck so that it served 12, but the regular recipe serves 4. I did everything the same except that I broke the sweet potatoes into two baking sheets.
Start by baking the bacon in the oven.
While this is baking, peel and cut the sweet potatoes. You could save time on this step by buying the pre-cut and peeled sweet potatoes usually found in the produce section.
When the bacon is done cut it up into small pieces and set aside. Mix cubed potatoes with the garlic and coconut oil per directions. Put the potatoes in the oven to roast for 30 minutes and make the dressing while the potatoes are in.
The dressing~so much goodness here. Green onion, fresh dill, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil with a few seasonings added.
When the potatoes are done, simply mix the dressing and bacon with the WARM potatoes and serve! It’s absolutely wonderful!
- ½ pound of bacon
- 3 large sweet potatoes, cut into cubes
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 TBS coconut oil, melted
- For dressing:
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 2 TBS balsamic vinegar
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 handful fresh dill, roughly chopped
- dash of red pepper flakes
- dash of ground cinnamon
- fine grain salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and lay bacon on the sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until bacon is slightly crispy. Let cool, then roughly chop and set aside (leave oven on for potatoes)
- In a roasting pan or rimmed baking sheet lined with aluminum foil, toss the sweet potatoes with the garlic and coconut oil and roast for 30 minutes, or until slightly browned.
- While the sweet potatoes are roasting, make the dressing. Whisk together the lime juice, green onion, dill, and seasonings.
- Once the sweet potatoes have finished roasting and are still warm, toss them with the dressing and chopped bacon.