If you enjoyed Juli Bauer’s Pizza Spaghetti Pie that we shared last fall, you are going to LOVE her new Buffalo Chicken Casserole. The casserole concept and consistency is the same – but by using buffalo sauce instead of pizza sauce as the inspiration, it’s a totally different dish!
Until recently, I could take or leave buffalo sauce. But once I discovered Tessamea’s Buffalo Sauce, I became an bonafide buffalo sauce addict, as evident by the number of buffalo sauce recipes I’ve shared recently – including our Buffalo Crack Chicken and Buffalo Cauliflower Bites .
Preparing the ingredients for the casserole can be a little time consuming. But I will share some shortcuts…
You can dice the veggies ahead of time – the day before or the morning of – and store them in a zip lock bag in the fridge until you are ready to prepare the casserole.
The spaghetti squash can also be baked ahead of time – perhaps while you are dicing the veggies. If you’ve never baked a spaghetti squash before, check out Cavemama Amy’s “How To” video.
Once it’s cooked – scraping it out with a fork results in spaghetti like strands.
Once you have cooked your spaghetti squash and diced your veggies, you can begin preparing the casserole by cooking the ground chicken along with the veggies.
When the ground chicken is cooked through and no longer pink, remove it from the heat and add the hot sauce along with a Paleo Mayonnaise which you can either prepare from scratch or try a store bought version such as Primal Kitchen Paleo Mayo.
Combine the chicken mixture with the spaghetti squash and spread it in a baking dish. As I said in the Pizza Spaghetti Pie recipe – this next step is where the magic happens! Pour the whisked eggs over the casserole and gently move the mixture around with a fork until you can no longer see the eggs.
One hour in the oven and voila!
Buffalo chicken casserole heaven! One final note – my teenage son really enjoyed this. But he made the suggestion that next time I use “real” chicken (as he called it), instead of the ground chicken. So I tried it – with a store bought rotisserie chicken breast – and it was AMAZING!!! I pulled the chicken off the bones and hand shredded it – and that’s the way we’ve been preparing it ever since!
- 1 medium spaghettie squash (about 2.5 lbs)
- 4 tbl butter, ghee or coconut oil
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- ½ medium yellow onion, minced
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 cup hot sauce (I prefer Tessemae's)
- ¼ cup Paleo mayonnaise
- 4 large eggs - whisked
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees then bake the spaghetti squash until it's tender and the strands can be easily removed.
- Grease a 9x13 baking dish with ghee or coconut oil.
- In a large pan, melt 2 tbls ghee.
- Add the garlic, carrot, celery, onion and bell pepper and cook for about 10 minutes or until the onion is translucent.
- Add the ground chicken, garlic powder, salt and pepper and cook until the chicken is no longer pink.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the hot sauce and mayonnaise, mix until well combined.
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken mixture and the spaghetti squash until thoroughly mixed.
- Transfer this to the baking dish.
- Whisk the eggs and pour over the entire dish, with a fork, gently distribute the eggs throughout, until you can no longer see them.
- Bake for 1 hour or until the top forms a slight crust that doesn't give when you press it in the middle.
Join our Community & Get The Cavemamas Favorite Things we think you should know about!
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.