I love coffee! I love the smell of it brewing, I love holding a warm cup of coffee between my hands, I love the rich, distinct coffee flavor. But I don’t love it black! Which is a huge problem, since I’m currently participating in a 6-week food challenge that doesn’t allow cream or stevia.
So you can imagine my excitement when I discovered a Coffee Smoothie recipe in the newest addition to my cookbook collection – The Paleo Kitchen, by Juli Bauer of PaleOMG and George Bryant the Civilized Caveman.
This is a great post-WOD snack, and I may even try adding some protein powder next time. The smoothie requires that the coffee be brewed and chilled prior to blending. So if you are a morning coffee drinker, just make extra and leave it in the fridge till you are ready to whip up a batch of yumminess!
The recipe calls for maple syrup – but since that’s not on my approved ingredients list for this food challenge, I just left it out.
I used a frozen banana, since I always have them on hand to make my kid’s fruit smoothies. Simply add all ingredients to the blender, and blend until smooth. Then add the crushed ice to thicken it.
It was flavorful, rich and so filling. I will definitely be making this on a more regular basis – and I’ll probably play with the quantities a bit, adding more coffee and maybe a little less almond butter, just to create a more intense coffee flavor.
- 1 medium banana (I used a frozen banana)
- 1 cup brewed coffee - chilled
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- ½ cup almond butter
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 4 cups crushed ice
- unsweetened cocoa powder and/or shaved dark chocolate to garnish (optional)
- Place all ingredients in the blender, except for the ice, and blend until smooth.
- Add the crushed ice and blend until thickened.
- Top with a dusting of cocoa powder and shaved dark chocolate, and serve immediately.
- Note - this recipe makes 4 - 10 ounce servings, so you may want to cut the measurements in half to make a large individual smoothie.
Join our Community & Get The Cavemamas Favorite Things we think you should know about!
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.