My guess is everyone has a few back pocket recipes. You know, those family favorites that we prepare so often we don’t even follow a recipe any longer. The ones that we can pull out of our back pocket in a pinch. My dijon grilled chicken is most definitely one of those! I’ve been marinating and grilling this beauty long before I ever knew what Paleo was.
I love the versatility of this dish. You can grill and serve the chicken as a dinner entree or use it to compliment a salad entree such as a cobb salad or add it to spaghetti squash for a more hearty meal. As is with most of my favorites, I would encourage you to double this recipe for guaranteed left overs! I’ve been known to grab a piece of chicken for a breakfast on the go. Plus, the lunch options with left over grilled chicken are endless.
The marinade is 6 simple ingredients: olive oil, balsamic vinegar, dijon mustard, fresh lemon juice, garlic and dried basil. While I prefer fresh chopped garlic, I found myself “garlic-less” and had to rely on my backup – jarred minced garlic.
Combine all ingredients, whisk till well blended and in less than 5 minutes you have a magnificent marinade!
I prefer to trim and cut my chicken breasts into medallions. I find them easier to grill and much tastier in smaller, cutlet size pieces. I can typically get 3-4 smaller pieces from one chicken breast.
Toss the chicken pieces and marinade into a zip lock bag – seal tightly and manually manipulate to get each piece well coated.
Place the chicken in the fridge and let the marinade do it’s magic! While you could let the chicken marinate for 6-10 hours prior to cooking, I’ve found a good 24+ hours is even better!
Heat the grill up and slap those babies on! The smaller sized pieces generally cook in about 5-6 minutes (2.5 – 3 minutes per side).
Hello I’m drooling just looking at this picture! The possibilities are truly endless with this simple marinade! Enjoy – and as always, we’d love to hear from you after you try our recipes!
- 1 cup olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup dijon mustard
- juice from ½ of a lemon
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2-3 cloves fresh chopped garlic
- 2-3 lbs chicken breasts
- Combine the first 6 ingredients to prepare the marinade.
- Whisk until well combined.
- Trim and cut the chicken into medallion sized pieces (about 3-4 per breast)
- Place chicken pieces in a large zip lock bag.
- Pour marinade into the bag.
- Seal tightly, then move the chicken around to cover with marinade.
- Place in fridge for at least 6-8 hours, although up to 24+ hours is best.
- When ready to cook, heat the grill and spread chicken pieces out on grill.
- Cook approximately 2.5 - 3 minutes per side, until cooked through and no longer pink.
- Remove to a serving dish and enjoy!
Join our Community & Get The Cavemamas Favorite Things we think you should know about!
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.