I am learning to like Kale. Since joining a local farmers CSA (community supported agriculture) this summer, each week I pick up a half-share of whatever veggies they are growing. Well, they must be growing a lot of Kale because I’ve gotten it 3 out of 5 weeks so far!
I turned to the trusty internet for some Kale recipes and stumbled upon the Bravo for Paleo website where she had a Kale Salad recipe. It looked like the easiest one I had read through, but it wasn’t perfect. So, I started with her recipe and tweaked it to fit our tastes.
After steaming the kale (this is THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THE RECIPE!) I added the red onion and almonds that she called for but decreased the onions by half. I also added dried cranberries
The recipe called for the salad to be chilled in the freezer, but I didn’t want to do that, so my salad was more room temperature. If I did it again I might have kept the salad warm and I might have added bacon to itI. I think some goat cheese would be awesome in this although it’s not 100% Paleo then. …but I digress…
Mix whatever sounds good to you into the kale, add salt and pepper and it’s ready for the dressing. Mix the dressing according to directions, but I would suggest you cut the red pepper flakes in half unless you like really spicy. It was too spicy for my family, but was delicious at the same time.
This salad was super yummy and my whole family loved it! It even stayed crunchy for leftovers the next day! Great for summer and to bring to a potluck.
- 1 bunch of kale
- ½ red onion, chopped (suggest you cut down to ¼ onion)
- ½-3/4 cup sliced almonds
- ¾ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon garlic, minced
- ½ Tablespoon red pepper flakes (suggest you cut down to ¼ TBS)
- 1 Tablespoon onion powder
- For Salad
- Separate kale, and remove leaves from stems. Rinse well.
- Fill a pot with water and place a double boiler on top.
- Steam the kale for about 1-2 minutes. You want it to be softer than it began, but the texture is really up to you.
- Place kale in freezer for 5-10 minutes, if you want cold salad. (I didn't do this...you decide)
- Add red onion and almonds and toss salad.
- Top with dressing.
- For dressing
- Mix ingredients and store in fridge.
Join our Community & Get The Cavemamas Favorite Things we think you should know about!
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.