- How old are you? I am 27 years old.
- When did you begin CrossFit? I started CrossFit in October of 2013…a little over 2 years ago.
- What inspired you to start? I swam competitively until college and I was mentally and physically done with working out two times a day. I didn’t work out consistently during college and for the 2 years following graduation. I tried swimming again, running, and yoga but really missed the team atmosphere. My sister (also a former swimmer) and her husband encouraged me to try CrossFit because they enjoyed it so much. I was instantly drawn to the team like atmosphere, where the trainers are encouraging and the other gym members cheer for you during every WOD.
- Why do you continue to CrossFit? There are so many reasons why I continue to CrossFit! I love the friends I have made at CrossFit Charlottesville. They have helped me be stronger both in the gym and out of the gym, which I am forever grateful for!I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis after college. I’ve worked with doctors to find the right medications plus I consistently workout at CrossFit and I can happily say that my arthritis is under control. Now, I want to be able to run long distances, go hiking, lift heavy things over my head and not have a disease control what my body can and can’t do. CrossFit has helped to keep my joints moving…sitting on a couch everyday was not going to help me take control of this disease.In addition, I work on the construction staff for Habitat for Humanity of Greater Charlottesville. Being outside every day to build homes is a physically demanding job. I want to be able to lift, move and carry materials or tools without help. Thanks to CrossFit, I am stronger every day and I can pretty much carry anything the boys at work can!
- What is your greatest accomplishment in CrossFit? At first I thought it was kipping pull ups or walking in a handstand for 10 feet. But my greatest accomplishment from CrossFit is that I’ve established and maintained an active and healthy lifestyle. When I stopped swimming, I stopped being active for a few years. Now, I am much happier when I am being active, whether it’s a WOD, hiking, or running!
- What life lessons have you learned from CrossFit? I have learned that a little encouragement goes a long way and passing on that encouragement to others at the gym helps everyone get stronger!
- What do you struggle with most in CrossFit? Getting to the gym. It is hard some days to leave work so exhausted and find the motivation to go to CrossFit. Taking a nap and eating dinner often times seems like a better option. But once I am there, I am glad I made it to the gym!
- What are your current CrossFit goals? I would like to work on butterfly pull ups and muscle ups! I have a pretty good kipping pull up and chest to br, I just need to keep improving and working on harder skills!
Thanks for sharing your story Morgan!
Each of us has a story, and although we may not realize it, our story will inspire someone else! We’d love to share YOUR CrossFit story. Feel free to answer the questions above, or use them as inspiration to write your story and submit it to firstname.lastname@example.org along with a photo.
Join our Community & Get The Cavemamas Favorite Things we think you should know about!
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.