When I first got Stephanie Gaudreau’s newest cookbook – The Performance Paleo Cookbook – I flipped through it cover to cover and her Lemon Artichoke Chicken was one of the first recipes I knew I had to try. It lived up to all my expectations…
Not only is it easy, but the ingredient list includes staple items that I usually always have on hand. If you are new to Paleo and haven’t cooked with Arrowroot yet – it works much like flour to thicken a sauce or gravy.
Don’t try to use any short cuts with the lemon! Fresh grated lemon rind (zest) and fresh squeezed lemon juice are a must with this recipe. Together with some salt and pepper – you’ve got your chicken marinade.
Chop the artichoke hearts and garlic – and set aside.
Sautee the chicken in the ghee until cooked through and caramelized, then remove and set aside. Add the chicken broth, arrowroot, garlic, artichoke hearts and red pepper flakes to the pan to make the sauce. The recipe calls for capers – but my personal preference was to leaves those out.
Once the sauce has come to a boil and thickened – pour it over the chicken and serve!
- 2 lb chicken breasts
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 6 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp ghee
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 tsp arrow root
- 1 14 oz can artichoke hearts, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp capers
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- Filet the chicken breasts so they are half as thick. Or lay them between was paper and pound with a mallet until it's ½ inch thick.
- Place the chicken in a zip lock bag.
- Grate the lemon rind to create the lemon zest.
- Add lemons zest, lemon juice, salt and pepper to the chicken and marinate for at least 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- When you are ready to prepare the dish, melt the ghee in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Sautee the chicken for 3-5 minutes per side, until it is caramelized and brown on each side.
- Remove the chicken to a serving dish and set aside.
- Add the chicken broth to the pan, scraping up all the browned bits.
- Add the arrowroot flour, artichoke hearts, garlic, capers and red pepper flakes.
- Bring the broth to a boil, so that it thickens.
- Then pour over the chicken and serve.
Join our Community & Get The Cavemamas Favorite Things we think you should know about!
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.