Amy and I recently spent a few hours working at Bean There, a local coffee house with a pretty extensive menu. Unfortunately, they didn’t have much in the way of Paleo offerings. However, while chatting with the waitress about our nutrition needs, she suggested we try a modified version of their Mediterranean Wrap. It was so incredibly delicious, that I came home and began experimenting to recreate it.
So without further ado, I’m so excited to share the Mediterranean Breakfast Bowl with you.
It’s kind of like a Greek Salad – for breakfast. Just look at this assortment of ingredients – I’m drooling already.
You can serve the eggs over raw spinach, but I like to heat the spinach, just enough to soften it.
I’ve drizzled pesto over an omelet or even poached eggs before. But something special happens when you whisk the pesto directly into the eggs – it gives you that pesto flavor with every single bite! My favorite store bought brand is Seggiano Basil Pesto – made with just 5 simple Paleo compliant ingredients: virgin olive oil, cashew nuts, basil, sea salt, pine nuts.
Although the Paleo lifestyle is typically dairy-free, we always encourage people to find their hue of Paleo – the version that works for them. I don’t have any issues or negative reaction to a little bit of dairy now and then, so I would choose to add some crumbled Feta cheese to my scrambled eggs. But that’s totally optional. Once the eggs are cooked – serve them on a bed of spinach…
You can garnish your Mediterranean Breakfast Bowl with Kalamata olives and tomatoes, or chop them up even smaller and scramble them right along with the eggs. I’ve done it both ways and they are equally as yummy!
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbl pesto sauce
- 1 Tbl ghee
- 1 large handful baby spinach (about 1 cup)
- 1-2 Tbl crumbled feta cheese
- 3-5 Kalamata olives
- 2-4 Grape tomatoes (or any tomatoes - diced into small bite size chunks)
- Cut the olives and tomatoes into bite size pieces and set aside.
- Melt ½ of the ghee in a pan and cook the spinach on medium for less than a minute. Just enough time to slightly soften it.
- Remove the spinach from the pan and set aside in a serving bowl.
- Microwave the pesto sauce to liquefy it, then pour it in with the eggs and beat with a fork until well blended.
- Heat the other ½ of the ghee and scramble your eggs over medium heat until desired consistency.
- If you eat dairy, add some feta cheese to your eggs just before they are fully cooked.
- Place your scrambled egg mixture on the bed of lightly wilted spinach and garnish with olives and tomatoes.
Join our Community & Get The Cavemamas Favorite Things we think you should know about!
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.