As a woman that lives a very full life (my really positive spin for the dreaded word “busy”), my first priority when preparing meals has always been that a recipe must be QUICK & EASY! As I evolved into a Cave Mama, my kitchen priorities expanded to include Paleo as well. If those preliminary requirements are met, and the meal actually tastes good too…..then I jump up and down shouting “winner winner chicken dinner” at the top of my lungs. Seriously – I do!
The Mexican Chicken Crockpot is a definite winner, all the way around! It’s quick, easy, Paleo and incredibly versatile. I have to give credit for this crockpot masterpiece to Ryan – one of my original CrossFit coaches and friend. This one ranks in the “household favorites” category – and I’ve probably made it well over 30 times now.
The ingredients are a staple in our house, so I can whip this one together with little to no planning.
If the chicken breasts are on the large side, I tend to cut them in half. This also makes it easier to fit them all in the crockpot.
The preparation is a simple layering process – chicken and spices, diced tomatoes, peppers and onions – cover and cook!
Take the next 6-8 hours to enjoy life! When you’re ready for dinner, your dinner will be practically ready for you!
Scoop the veggies off and place them in a bowl. Gently (because they are so tender they’ll fall apart!) remove the chicken breasts to a casserole dish.
It takes about 5 minutes to shred the chicken…and then you’re ready to serve!
This is a great recipe to double, and have left overs all week long. Sometimes I even cook up a pan of ground beef and add a few tablespoons of the same spice blend used for the mexican chicken. Then I can offer my family a choice of chicken, beef or a combo!
I mentioned earlier that this was a versatile recipe. While I choose to live a mostly Paleo lifestyle, my children sometimes enjoy the simple pleasure of a soft tortilla. They’ll use the meat to make a taco or quesadilla, while my husband likes to serve his on a bed of lettuce and have a taco salad. My personal preference is a large bowl of meat and veggies, topped with avocado, fresh tomato salsa and black olives!
- 2 lb chicken breast
- 1 can Rotel diced tomatoes
- 1 sweet onion
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 Tbls chili powder
- 1 Tbls cumin
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- Optional ingredients for serving - lettuce, avocado, tomato salsa, black olives, cilantro.
- Mix the chili powder, cumin and cayenne pepper together, then rub all over the chicken breasts.
- Place the chicken breasts in the bottom of a crockpot.
- Pour the can of Rotel diced tomatoes over the chicken.
- Slice the onion and peppers and place them on top of the tomatoes.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Once it's done, spoon the vegetables into a bowl.
- Take each chicken breast, one at a time, and place it in a shallow casserole dish. With 2 forks, shred the chicken.
- You are now ready to chow down - Mexican style.
Join our Community & Get The Cavemamas Favorite Things we think you should know about!
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.