- How old are you? I will be 50 in March!!
- When did you begin CrossFit? September 2009 in Stuttgart, Germany!
- What inspired you to start? Burpees!! True Story. . . I had a friend who was very enthusiastic about CrossFit! She dropped by one afternoon and ended up demonstrating a burpee for me in my living room. Well, I was definitely intrigued and I HAD to know more. Before the end of the week, I was in a class!! However, prior to that living room tutorial the harsh reality was this . . . . I had secretly known for some time that my life was in need of an overhaul! I was fat, depressed, loaded up with blood pressure medications and borderline diabetic. I avoided mirrors, pictures and clothes shopping. My friends and family kept reminding me that “I still had a very pretty face!” while sending me a multitude of recommendations for get thin quick schemes. Not good!! The real turning point for me was a Doctor’s appointment that I had. My family practitioner had been warning me for some time of impending doom if I didn’t make some radical changes in my life. He had just put me on another blood pressure medication and a cholesterol lowering drug, for good measure, which brought my total daily medications to 7! He also referred me to a specialist for an assessment for Diabetes and then finished the appointment by informing me that according to his rubric for predicting a future cardiac event, I was at 40%-60%! He had my attention!! I had watched too many family members fall to this fate and I was NOT GOING TO GO DOWN THAT SAME PATH! I walked out of that appointment completely defeated! But, as the days passed I found that my doctor’s dire warnings had also awoken something in me! I began to think about what I wanted MY life to look like – and living the way I had, wasn’t part of it!! It was time for some serious change . . . enter CrossFit!! Not to sound too dramatic, but it literally has Saved My Life!!
- Why do you continue to CrossFit? RESULTS!! Today, I am 80 pounds lighter, oodles of inches smaller and as of July of this year . . . (under the supervision of my Dr.) was released from ALL MY PRESCRIPTION MEDICATIONS for High Blood Pressure, High Cholesterol and Diabetes. My doctor now estimates my likelihood for a cardiac event at 5%-10%!! Needless to say, I am his “star patient!”
- What is your greatest accomplishment in CrossFit? Surviving my first WOD!! Hitting my first Clean & Jerk . . . I had NEVER felt more Powerful!! Completing 2 CrossFit Opens, RXing my first “Bodyweight” WOD, running my First Half-Marathon, Deadlifting 260# and finally, in April 2013, I participated and WON an “Eat to Compete” challenge at my Box. I lost 18 pounds and 11 inches in two months and gained a whole new perspective on life!!
- What life lessons have you learned from CrossFit? Nutrition has been the single most important thing that I have learned from my Crossfit experience! For the first time in my life . . . I learned that fitness is actually an 80/20 proposition and that my fitness was predominately going to be achieved in the kitchen!! My coaches have worked tirelessly to help me create a diet that works best for me. I have total control and accept complete accountability for what goes into my body, which is HUGE for me, as there was a time, when I battled a terrible eating disorder!! I worked really hard at it and was really good at it!! The toughest part was all the effort it took to hide it from my friends and family. Today, I proudly admit that I am working less hard to eat right and am still losing all the weight that I want in the healthiest way EVER!! I never EXPECT success where my food is concerned . . . I Plan and Prepare for it . . . every Sunday!
- What do you struggle with most in CrossFit? Anything with a rope seems to give me trouble. Double-Unders and Rope Climbs . . . I curse you!!
- What are your current CrossFit goals? To CRUSH a WOD filled with my all my weakest elements and to compete in a local CrossFit Competition!!
- How has CrossFit made you a better person? I am a very busy wife, mother and nurse, which means that most of my adult life has involved taking care of others in some form or fashion. So, CrossFit has made me a better person by teaching me how to take care of ME! Something I had forgotten how to do and at times considered selfish! But now, I know that when I make myself and my health a priority . . . I can give everyone in my life the best version of me! CrossFit has shown me that I still possess drive, determination and discipline. That those voices in my head that used to whisper “I WISH” are now silenced with my screams of “I WILL” or “I JUST DID!” I am back to setting goals for myself, trusting the process and I’m having success! Furthermore, CrossFit is helping me to set the right example . . . the best example . . . for my family! I mean, what Mom wouldn’t be proud to hear her 15 year old son bragging to his friend that, “Yeah, my Mom does CrossFit! She does push-ups, pull-ups and burpees and she can deadlift you!” Today, I am a much happier, healthier, stronger and fitter version of ME. The confidence that I have gained through CrossFit now translates into all aspects of my life.
Thanks for sharing your story Shelly!
Each of us has a story, and although we may not realize it, our story will inspire someone else! We’d love to share YOUR CrossFit story. Feel free to answer the questions above, or use them as inspiration to write your story and submit it to firstname.lastname@example.org along with a photo.
Join our Community & Get The Cavemamas Favorite Things we think you should know about!
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.