Before I tell you about this tropical fruit gazpacho from Make it Paleo, I want to let you know that’s it delicious and makes for an amazing summer treat. I say this because, as you will see, the recipe calls for a real coconut to be opened and the meat of the coconut to be scooped and put in a food processor. Sounded easy enough even though I had never actually opened a coconut before.
I went to Whole Foods and they had this whole coconut in the produce section.
My first mistake was assuming that because it didn’t have the hard brown shell on the outside that I would be able to cut right into this and scoop the meat out. WRONG!
Here’s how it actually ended up.
See the hammer and butcher knife? Yeah, that. I had watched some You Tube videos before doing all this and everyone of them made it seem so simple. I was duped. It started out with me creating a little hole in the bottom and sticking a spoon handle in there to let the coconut water drain out because that’s what the You Tube guy said to do. Then…it literally took me beating it with a hammer to get it to break open.
But once I conquered the coconut, it was easy to get the meat out with a pairing knife.
My suggestion to you is that you hunt down an international grocery store that sells already cut up coconut meat! That’s what I will do next time I make this recipe. Now, onto the rest…
Cut up your pineapple into big chunks. You will be throwing them into the food processor so they don’t need to be pretty or uniform in size.
Then peel and chop the mango and cucumber. Before you add the pineapple or fruit to the food processor, first shred the coconut into fine pieces. Then add everything else and process until it’s a puree consistency. Then add lime juice and puree a little more.
Pour into a bowl, cut up some lime wedges and sprinkle with unsweetened coconut from a bag. It is so refreshing and makes a great appetizer or side dish to a summer BBQ. You can also freeze it for a dessert! Just remember that the easiest way to make this recipe is to buy the pre-cut coconut meat. If you choose to buy a whole coconut, you’ve been warned.
- 1 pineapple, chopped
- 1 mango, chopped
- ½ cucumber, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- ½ coconut, chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- Lime wedges and grated coconut to garnish
- Peel and chop pineapple, mango, and cucumber. Remove ½ cup of diced pineapple to add after the blending
- Tap open the coconut using the blunt edge of a chef's knife. Separate meat from the shell. Using a vegetable peeler, remove the thin inner skin. Chop coconut meat into chunks.
- In a high-speed blender or food processor, blend coconut chunks on high until finely shredded.
- Add mango, pineapple, and cucumber and puree.
- Squeeze in lime juice and continue to process until smooth.
- Stir in the diced pineapple. Garnish with lime wedges and shredded coconut. Serve.
Join our Community & Get The Cavemamas Favorite Things we think you should know about!
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.