So what is Paleo?
In a nutshell, sildenafil the Paleo diet is the cavewoman diet. What ever was available in cavewoman times, sovaldi you can eat now too! That means that the mainstays of this lifestyle are meats, search seafood, vegetables, fruits, nuts and seeds, and healthy fats.
If you want more science behind the Paleo diet, there are people far smarter than us that we recommend you refer to. Our favorite is Robb Wolf and his Paleo Solution book. We also love Steve over at Nerd Fitness who does an awesome job at explaining Paleo in a really fun way.
But us Cave Mamas know this: eating the Paleo way is the most simple, satisfying diet that either of us have done. After years of trying to stick to the “low fat” diet that we all grew up with, we had become afraid of things like red meat, avocados, nuts, and any fats! Instead, like you, we thought the bagels, whole wheat breads, and whole wheat anything were the secret to staying thin. We became used to counting calories and judging every food for it’s “low fat” profile and thought being hungry was just part of living.
What does a Cave Mama eat?
We love thinking of all the things we CAN eat instead of the things we can’t. From flank steak and ribs to grilled salmon in real butter, we get to indulge in really satisfying foods every meal of everyday. Eggs are a huge staple in both our diets, as is avocado, almond butter, fruits and vegetables. We have learned to love veggies that we hated during our childhood (Brussels Sprouts for one) and we both recently learned what to do with a spaghetti squash! Click here for a list of the most common Paleo foods.
What does a Cave Mama say no to?
The easiest answer is anything processed. From pasta, cereals and bread to cheese, dairy or legumes, these foods are not Paleo. Now, here’s where it gets gray. Most Paleo-ites fall on a spectrum from strict Paleo to loose Paleo. What this means is that for some, they are strict Paleo eaters and never stray into the land of dairy or beans. For others, without digestion issues, they allow themselves full-fat cheese, yogurt, or other dairy and for still others, they eat some form of legumes.
If you have digestion issues such as leaky-gut syndrome, IBS, or Crohn’s disease, then staying away from legumes is vital. Also, with lactose intolerance being prevalent, chose what’s best for you when it comes to dairy, but in general, the full-fat version of any milk or cheese is less processed than it’s slimmer partner, so choose full-fat.
These Cave Mama’s occasionally enjoy a slice of bread or sour cream on our Mexican food, but it’s not very often. In general, we follow an 80% Paleo diet on any given day, with the other 20% going for things like coffee creamer, hummus, or a glass of wine. Once you “go Paleo” you will quickly find what foods become triggers for bad digestion and not feeling well and which ones are OK on occasion.
Join our Community & Get The Cavemamas Favorite Things we think you should know about!
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.